Ellis Preserve Cottage Restoration
3814-3817 West Chester Pike
Newtown Square, PA
In 2006, BPG Development completed an extensive capital improvement project to restore and modernize three 10,000 square foot stone cottages, located on Ellis Preserve in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania.
BPG acquired the 210-acre campus in 2004. At the time of acquisition, the cottages were vacant and required extensive renovations. Over the next two years, BPG Development oversaw the improvements to the cottages, which were designed to maintain the integrity and character of the original design while allowing for modernization for office use.
The cottages were originally constructed in the early 1920s when the property was developed as Ellis College. From 1922 to 1977, the school educated hundreds of girls throughout the Philadelphia region. Ellis College was established at the bequest of Charles E. Ellis, a local Philadelphia entrepreneur, who left the bulk of his estate in 1909 for the formation of a school for fatherless girls. Ellis had made his fortune through a horse drawn trolley company, and his desire was to return his fortune to the benefit of the community.
Currently, the cottages serve as testaments to the site's history and are home to several local businesses including BPG Development.